Some important information for you:
- United States Postal Service Regular Air Mail: expect four to eight
weeks to arrive. Even though information at your post office states that the package will arrive in three to four weeks, these guidelines
do not apply once the package has left the States.
- Flat-rate boxes are very useful and are usually the best value for your money unless
your package is very light.
- Sending packages by boat is no longer available.
- If you are sending a package via Regular Air Mail to
arrive for a birthday or special holiday we recommend mailing it two months before the special date. For example to arrive by Christmas
packages should be sent by the middle of October.
- Two other mailing options are United States Postal Service Express Mail and DHL.
In our experience these options have been fast and reliable, but very expensive however.
What to send:
- Do not send weapons of any
kind or any items that resemble weapons.
- Do not send anything extremely valuable or expensive.
- See suggestions by family listed below!
Assembling the package:
- Place any items that might spill, leak, or melt in zip-loc bags to protect the other contents of the package.
- If possible place the most valuable items (DVD's, CD's, etc.) toward the bottom of the package.
- Remove any excess or bulky packaging
from items - if you have extra space in the package and need filler, please ask us for ideas of other items to cushion the package
instead of using packing peanuts.
- If you are sending small items, use a protective envelope instead of a box.
- Create multiple smaller
packages instead of sending one extremely heavy or large package
- When sending computer programs or software make sure to include ID
numbers, serial numbers, and/or instructions especially if the programs are removed from their original packaging.
- If possible remove
product wrapping, price tags and stickers so that the items don't look new.
At the post office:
John Doe (insert
Boa Nova Para Africa
Pemba, Mozambique AFRICA
- When filling out the customs form, mark the checkbox and/or write
in “gift” or “personal items”. If you are required to give additional information, you may want to be vague about the exact contents
of the package. An example is instead of writing specific names like “DVD”, “CD”, write something vague like "children's entertainment
- When declaring the value of the package use the “garage sale value”. For example if you sold everything in the package at a
garage sale what would the value of the package be.
- To calculate the postage of sending your package, please go to www.ircalc.usps.gov.
MISSION AMONG THE MAKUA METTO
- Mozambique, Africa -